Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy New Year!

Yay! It's New Years! Sadly my family is on the opposite side of the continent, but I was able to spend Friday at my friend Cedric's house party eating home-made pork dumplings. After eight years of being a vegetarian, I've decided to slowly start integrating meat into my diet until September as I'll be going on a big trip this summer and don't want to offend the various cultural groups I visit by refusing their delicious food.

Anyway, have a great Lunar New Year and a friendly reminder that its not just Chinese people who celebrate this event so calling it 'Chinese New Year' is kindof sino-centric. It'd be like calling January 1st 'Canadian New Year'. Yeah...kinda weird.

Oh and finally I'll be on 102.3 Radio Centreville (Montreal's commuity radio station) today talking about how much food one consumes on a given New Years weekend. To use my self as an example, I ate for 6 hours straight at Cedric's place. Yeah, good luck to all those who have to do this all weekend.

1 comment:

Bert and Pat said...

Gong Hay Fat Choy ... thinking of you ...

We had tasty restaurant-made dumplings yesterday with Popo and our Asian Literature Book Club had yummy dumplings at a seafood restaurant on Pender Street the day before. New Years parade not until next Sunday on the other side of the continent in Vancouver.

We also had fun reading about the signs we are born under and how we fare in this year of the Ox, in Jonathan Dee's Simply Chinese Astrology.

Will your Radio Centreville program be podcast online?