Sunday, September 7, 2008

Upcoming Event: The Public Defender (1931)



I'm helping my friend Phillip flyer for an event he's running and I figure it wouldn't hurt to throw something up online as well. Phil runs 'Cine Club' which screens films from his private collection. He's an avid collector of film reels and movies that haven't been released on video or DVD (he tells me they start at $200! My god that's an expensive hobby). As well Phil is a movie director and directed the film The Descendant.

Anyway the film he's screening this Friday (September 12th) is 1931's 'The Public Defender.'

"'The Public Defender' stars Richard Dix and Boris Karloff (Frankenstein). A millionaire playboy takes it upon himself to clandestinely punish criminals while leaving behind a mysterious calling card with a distinct symbol, signed 'The Reckoner.' The mystery avenger also has an older assistant named 'the Professor' (Karloff) who lives with him in his large mansion and performs criminal research for him."

Its also kinda cool to to note that Bob Kane released the first Batman comic in 1939, nearly a decade later. Anyway, I'll probably write a review, but considering this movie hasn't been released anywhere so far, I really suggest checking it out if you're in the Montreal area (and tell me if you are so we can go together!). Here's a link to the details, but for simplicity:

The Public Defender
September 12th, 2008
9:30 @ Cinema du Parc

No comments: