Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Comedian of the Week - Bobby Lee



I've followed Bobby Lee of a while. While his 7 years on Mad TV certainly made him well-known in the comedy community, and certainly he is known among Asian Americans, it was all pretty tame for me. Moreover, while I thought he was good, I didn't like the writers for the show and never really found it that funny after the first several seasons (which I watched voraciously as a kid).

Moreover, when I was in New York this New Years I found out he was in town and despite the $50 ticket I scooped them up as soon as possible. I was kind of worried he'd be a let down, especially after seeing Kumail Nanjiani the night before, but he proved me wrong within the first 5 seconds (literally, he came onstage looking confused and it had me floored).

Unquestioningly, his strength is his physical comedy, and I haven't laughed this hard to goofball humor since Jim Carrey. If you get a chance to see him live, do it. When he's delivering his own jokes he's on fire, and his ability to interact with the crowd uncanny.

As a bonus, I found a YouTube video of the New Years show at Carolines, which was when I was there! However, there were 2 shows that night, and this one was the one after ours. As a interesting final point, Paul (my brother) was the one who announced stripper Bobby Lee onto the stage. It was good times.

No comments: